Friday, January 25, 2008

Still here...reflecting on life

So after abandoning my blog for 10 months, I've finally made my way back.

They say its never easy to lose someone close. But only once you've experienced it personally do you really understand the weight of what that means.

Just after my last entry, I went through the most difficult period in my life. From an outsider, it may seem understandable but strange that the loss of an uncle could have such a large impact. But he wasn't just an uncle. He was my uncle. The only uncle who was always around throughout my life. He may have been difficult and unapproachable to some, but I will always remember him to be (too) hard working, kind and caring, and rescued me from angry parents during my childhood.

It was just another crazy day at work where there seemed to be too few hours in the day, when a short email from my sister changed everything. London suddenly felt so far away, which it is...and unfortunately I was too late. Family members have passed away around me before but I could not compare it to how it felt this time. Losing my grandparents was sad, but at least they had the opportunity to live their life. Even the sudden loss of my favourite cousin was tough but perhaps I was a bit too young to fully understand it. The loss of uncle was a big wake up call and the worse thing my family has ever experienced. The one positive (though I'm hesitant to call it that) was that it brought us closer together. And also reminds us that life is short. You never know what happens and when it can be taken away, no matter how young, healthy or old your are - so be sure to live for now and not for later. We need to remember not to take people for granted and you really need to make an effort to stay in touch with your family and friends because contrary to what you may think, they may not always be around.

The suddenness of it all, with no real explanation makes it difficult to accept. Seems so surreal. I feel robbed for him and for the family left behind...even now.

Enough said. After alot of tears and many sleepless nights, I've finally felt like writing again.

I feel so spoilt to have done so much travelling already, yet I realise its the very thing I should be doing...embracing all the good that life has to offer when you can. 10 months flew in the blink of an eye, and I have been doing just that. But that's a story for another day.

No comments: