Friday, March 16, 2007

Verbier - snowboarding, take 3

Yippee-dee-doo-dah.........!!!

I can snowboard. And I use the word 'can' loosely, in that I can get down the blue and red slopes, in my own way, with no fancy smancy tricks. But that's good enough for me.

I knew this trip was going to be a decider for me in terms of snow boarding.
  • #1 attempt in Queenstown, NZ - failed miserably even with a few hours lessons and switched to skiing the next day; whilst my friends pressed on and have now advanced to become experienced boarders
  • #2 attempt in Banff, Canada - gave it another shot with a full day lesson this time and managed to get down the slopes...only just
Resided to the fact that after spending a week in the snow, if I still can't get my heel and toes in action, then snowboarding is not for me. Luckily, I not only survived the full 6 days on the slopes, but did one better and really enjoyed it. For a few brief moments I even thought I felt 'in the zone' and relaxed. I am only just beginning to understand the thrill of my boarding groupie friends.

What a great trip - excellent experience, cool group, delicious food, beautiful setting. All in the Swiss Alps; one of those places I've long dreamt of going to. Big thx to T&D for organising!!

Arghhh...the aches and pains are going away but I did come back to London, discovering bruises I never knew I had. Could have been alot worse I guess. And geez, was it tough getting back to work. Don't remember ever struggling to adjust so much after a trip before - although suspect its something to do with all the work I put my body through with the stacks that comes with being a rookie boarder, coupled with getting straight back into full on crazy hour work again.

Verbier collages

Made an attempt at doing my first holiday photo collages last night! A bit behind in the game, but I think I'm picking up another addiction. Gotta love Photoshop.








5 comments:

mushiejc said...

nice pics. i esp like the panorama ones and the one of the ski lifts!

Unknown said...

Hi Che Ghet!

It's your wannabe journo cousin, Margaret here =) I had no idea you had a blog. Thanks for giving me a heads up!

I am pretty jealous reading about all the adventures/escapades you've gone on. But it all sounds so cool. At least you CAN somewhat snowboard - I think the closest I've been to snowboarding is snowball fighting during year six camp - it doesn't count Lol.

How's things with work and all? Not too stressful I hope. It's great that you're keeping a blog - I spend a lot of my time on the net nowadays. It's pretty tragic.

Anyhoo, parents are doing swell - you have to come see our new house properly when you come back =) it's about two and half times bigger than our little shack we had before. My mum says its almost like living in a hotel cuz it's so big Lol.

Talk soon! xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Jade and Alex

I love your beautiful photo collage...I am in awe of your snowboarding/skiing experience....I can't wait to see piles of snow, I saw a little outside today (got so excited!!)but not enough to make a snowman!

Seng

so..?!! said...

I am so, so, so, so glad that you guys like boarding... another 2 to add to our list of snow trip attendees!!! :)

Pix are great!! :)

jsj said...

Hi Jade & Alex,
Great photos!!

Keep those adventure stories coming. Sure beats working in Sydney hey :)

See you soon.

jem